Sex Crime Lawyer Redwood City CA Clients Count On
If you or someone you know has been sentenced to a crime, you may want to seek legal counsel from a skillful and trusted sex crime lawyer Redwood City, CA residents trust from Morales Law Firm. For over 25 years, we have been defending our clients in order to provide the justice they deserve. Sentencing of a crime can range in severity from a misdemeanor to a felony and the consequences are paired accordingly. You will want a lawyer by your side that is extensively knowledgeable about the legal system, will intensely investigate your case, and work diligently to provide proper guidance every step of the way.
How We Can Help
Defending someone with a sex crime accusation can be a difficult task for a lawyer who is not familiar with the complex nature and emotionally-charged aspect of cases like these. These cases can be even more challenging if there is outcry from the media about a person’s supposed actions, and the prosecution is portraying the individual in a negative light. Unfortunately, the prosecution may exaggerate or make up false information in an attempt to help their client win the case.
It truly is of the utmost importance that you talk with a law firm who has vast experience and success in past cases similar to yours. You should not be turning to a new lawyer or general law firm to represent a case like this. We can work closely with investigators, witnesses, and other parties to develop a deeper understanding of the incident and how we can protect your best interests. We are well aware that your future, relationships, and reputation are all on the line.
As a citizen of the United States, it is your constitutional right to receive representation in court and you should seek the proper help as quickly as possible. Since 1991, our criminal defense lawyers have helped San Mateo County citizens in numerous ways, such as:
- Negotiate plea bargains on your behalf and potentially reduce or eliminate some of the charges brought against you.
- Offer emotional support during this difficult time of being accused of a crime.
- Our lawyers are able to remain objective during the case and can provide you with sound guidance on what is happening and what may potentially happen in the future.
- The knowledge and experience that our lawyers have set them apart from other San Mateo County law firms. We are dedicated to knowing everything about the legal system in order to build a strong case.
- Provide sound judgment and honest responses when deciding which course of action to pursue. There are pros and cons to every decision made and it is important to speak with a trustworthy lawyer that will explain all of your options and the project outcome in detail.
- Collecting evidence and statements from witnesses is another task that the hired lawyer will be able to complete. Witnesses are usually more willing to speak with an attorney and offer their testimony versus speaking with the defendant if they choose to represent themselves.
- We are able to hire investigators and/or expert witnesses to help aid in your case. It is important to remember that you are innocent until proven guilty. So an investigator’s or an expert witness’ testimony may be able to rebut evidence that the prosecutor presents.
- If you are found guilty, your lawyer is still there to help you establish a better sentencing program for your situation. For example, the lawyer may be able to change your sentencing from 12 straight months in prison to eight months in prison with four months in a drug treatment facility if you need help with substance abuse. This can help prevent you from being put back in the criminal justice system once again.
Sex Crime Offenses in California
When it comes to such a serious and sensitive case such as a sex crime accusation, it is vital to your case that you have a lawyer who is not afraid to fight relentlessly for your behalf. We can provide guidance as your case proceeds, represent you in court, investigate and scrutinize evidence, and so much more. Please don’t hesitate to call if this is something you or a loved one is going though. There are many California sex-related offenses that are criminalized under the penal code. A lawyer from our law office can help you with any of the following charges:
- Rape – PC 261
- Lewd Act Upon a Child (14 or 15 years) – PC 288 (c)(1)
- Annoyance or Molestation of Child (younger than 18 years old) – PC 6476
- Possession of Obscene Matter (child pornography) – PC 311
- Statutory Rape (intercourse consensual with someone under the age of 18) – 261.5
- Lewd Act Upon Child Under 14 Years – PC 288 (a)
- Sexual Battery (sexual activity that was forced, other than intercourse) – PC 243.4
- Oral Copulation – PC 288a
- Indecent Exposure – PC 314
- Sodomy – PC 286
- Obligation to Register as Sex Offender with Local Police – PC 290
If your sex crime charge is not listed here, we still encourage you to contact our office, as there are other offenses that we can help with. We can imagine how much stress and pressure you are under after being arrested for a sex-related offense. We are here to guide you and safeguard your best interests from the very start.
Contact a Sex Crime Lawyer in Redwood City, California Today
At Morales Law Firm, we are here for you and can help increase the probability of a more desirable outcome for your situation. You deserve proper representation and should be with someone you trust. Contact us today by calling for a free consultation.
Potential Consequences of a Sexual Crime Conviction
Sex crimes are often treated as violent felonies. As a result, sex crime convictions generally carry some pretty heavy penalties. As a result, if you were recently charged with a sex crime, it will almost certainly be in your best interest to consult a lawyer immediately. It is of paramount importance that you treat your charges seriously. An attorney may be able to help you mitigate potential consequences of a conviction or avoid a conviction altogether. Failure to act with seriousness of purpose could lead to any number of truly challenging consequences.
Depending on whether force used and whether the sexual crime was committed with a deadly weapon, most sex crime convictions can result in anywhere from a year to life in prison. Spending any time in prison can negatively impact your life. You will most likely lose your job, be away from your loved ones and won’t be able to enjoy the same freedoms you once did. Consulting with a lawyer may help you to avoid prison altogether or may help to ensure that you spend less time there than you otherwise would.
Sex Offender Registration
If you are convicted of virtually any sex crime, you will have to register as a sex offender in the state you reside in. You will have to provide your full name, address and details about your crime in this registry. This information is not considered private and anyone can look it up on a sex offender website. Being registered as a sex offender can severely restrict where you are allowed to live. For example, you won’t be able to live in a house or apartment that’s too close to a school.
Strained Personal Relationships
Having a sex crime conviction on your record is also likely to put a strain on your relationships with your family members and friends. They may view you in a negative light after you have been convicted of such a crime and might not want to be around you anymore. They may no longer trust you and try to distance themselves away from you as much as possible. It is partially for this reason that you should contact a lawyer committed to mounting a strong defense on your behalf.
Fewer Employment Opportunities
With a sex crime conviction on your record, you may also have more difficulty obtaining employment in the future. Many employers conduct background checks on job candidates prior to hiring them. If they find out that you have been convicted of a sex crime, they may see you as untrustworthy and dangerous and be weary of hiring you.
Next Step: Contact The Morales Law Firm
As you can see, a sex crime conviction comes with some very harsh penalties. That is why it is important to contact a lawyer immediately after an arrest. With a confident attorney on your side, you may reasonably have a little more of a peace of mind about your situation. A CA sex crime lawyer in Redwood City can help you build a defense and ensure your rights are protected, so call The Morales Law Firm as soon as you possibly can.