What are Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
When you get into a truck accident, you need the help of a truck accident lawyer in San Francisco, California from the Morales Law Firm. We know far too well how serious a truck accident can be. When you are the victim in this type of accident you may be experiencing severe injuries that can cause long-term or permanent damage to your health. This kind of accident can be terrifying if you were in a car because of the sheer size and weight difference between a car and a truck. Unfortunately, even if you are a safe driver and follow the rules of the road, you can still get into a truck accident. So, this begs the question: what are common causes of truck accidents? Below, a San Francisco truck accident lawyer discusses some of the most common causes of truck accidents.
4 Common Causes of Truck Accidents
A truck accident lawyer in San Francisco, California will tell you that there are four common reasons that truck accidents occur.
- Maintenance and Training. These make up the performance and the capability for a truck driver to drive safely. First, if they are improperly trained, they will not be able to safely drive a commercial vehicle on public roads with other cars. Because of how inherently dangerous it is to drive these vehicles, they must go through a certain number of hours to learn to safely drive. Further, there are laws on how a truck should be maintained before the driver hits the road. If the truck is not maintained, it can cause accidents even with a well-trained driver.
- Fatigue. A trusted San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer will tell you that one of the top causes of truck accidents is driver fatigue. Many truck drivers are overworked and must work long hours through the night. To get to their destination on time, the driver may take very few stops. Because of this, the driver may accidentally doze off behind the wheel. Additionally, a truck driver will have a longer reaction time if something goes wrong on the road.
- Distracted Driving. Just like other drivers, a San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer knows that truck drivers get bored on the road. They may want to play with the radio, listen to an audiobook, text, or make a phone call. When this happens, the driver’s reaction time is not quick and they may not see other cars on the road. Taking their eyes off the road for even a few seconds can cause a deadly accident.
- Speeding. As a truck accident lawyer San Francisco, CA noted above, truck drivers are typically on a very tight schedule and must reach their destination in a certain period of time. This is not always easy for the truck driver, and they may feel the need to speed to their destination to meet their deadline.
Getting into a truck accident can be deadly. If you have been the victim of a truck accident, you should seek compensation for your injuries. Reach out to a San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer from The Morales Law Firm now.
The Impact of a Trucking Accident
There are a variety of ways that a trucking accident can occur, as a result, victims stand to face serious and even life-threatening injuries. Because of this, it may be appropriate for an accident victim, or their family to consider pursuing legal action. This is a primary reason to contact a San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer as soon as possible so that victims are able to provide themselves with the best opportunity at obtaining compensation for the damages they have suffered.
Types of Trucking Accidents
Large trucks can be seen from coast to coast, playing an essential role in the transport of goods throughout the country. Despite the essential role that large trucks play to the country’s economy, there is tremendous pressure on truck drivers and companies to perform. Our San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer will tell you that because of this, it’s possible for trucking companies and their drivers to participate in negligent behavior in efforts to transport goods as quickly as possible. As a result, some large trucks can pose a significant risk to others on the road. For many, driving near a truck can bring on a sense of anxiety. At a moment’s notice, a truck driver’s negligence has the ability to produce results that can be life-altering. Our trucking accident lawyer based in San Francisco, CA shares with you common ways that a trucking accident may occur:
- Poorly Trained Truck Drivers
- Improperly Maintained Trucks
- Driving in Blind Spots
- Inclement Weather Conditions
- Truck Rollovers
- Lost Loads
- Becoming Trapped Under Trucks
- Wide Turns
Managing trucking accidents can be incredibly complicated. You will be required to not only prove negligence, but determine who can be held responsible. A trucking accident lawyer representing San Francisco, CA can help you to determine whether there are multiple parties at fault, and assist you in taking action.
Types of Injuries Trucking Accident Victims Suffer
A trucking accident can be devastating, the sheer size of a large 18 wheeler, even at reduced speeds can have a significant impact should an accident occur. Much of the time, trucking accidents can produce injuries that are far more severe than that of a motor vehicle collision. Our trucking accident lawyer based in San Francisco, CA has experience representing victims who have faced a number of extensive injuries. Common types of injuries may include:
- Neck Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Internal Injuries
Working with a truck accident lawyer from San Francisco, CA can support accident victims and their families in not only valuing their claim, but representing them by negotiating with insurance companies and attorneys to obtain the best possible outcome.
Why Hire a San Francisco Truck Accident Lawyer?
Whether you were the driver of the truck or an occupant of a car, if you are involved in a truck accident, it’s important you retain a truck accident lawyer in San Francisco. Here’s why:
- Dealing With the Insurance Companies
If you are at fault, you may want a San Francisco truck accident lawyer to help you deal with your own insurance company. Sometimes you are entitled to partial compensation, depending on the circumstance. If you are not at fault, it is also a good idea to hire a lawyer to help with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Sometimes the at-fault party’s insurance company will contact you in hopes of making a quick, cheap settlement, but you don’t have to speak with them or explain yourself to them. Instead, refer the representative to your truck accident lawyer in San Francisco.
- Determining Who Is at Fault
Determining fault is not always straightforward. Sometimes it takes further investigation to determine what caused the accident, who is responsible, and why. Regardless of what you might think, or whether you feel you are not to blame, the accident should (and will) be investigated to get to the answers. In general, if you plan to seek compensation, you should ask a truck accident lawyer in San Francisco to investigate the case and build a defense for you on your behalf.
- Suing the At-Fault Party
If you have filed a claim, or are planning to do so, you should have a truck accident lawyer in San Francisco to help you out with the legal process. Your attorney can help you determine the best strategy to follow so the entire process isn’t quite as stressful as it could be. Your lawyer can walk you through the steps it takes to recover compensation from someone, including understanding which damages to seek.
- Having Legal Guidance
No matter what the situation might be, it can give you peace of mind in knowing you have unbiased legal guidance to help you along the way. Your truck accident lawyer can ensure all of the details are identified, addressed, and presented in your case (when applicable). A full assessment of your current and future prospective losses can be analyzed so that you recover maximum damages. Without legal guidance, you might risk losing the money that you need and deserve.
Contact a San Francisco Truck Accident Lawyer Today
In the wake of a trucking accident, the process of taking legal action can be incredibly overwhelming, especially when recovering from the severe injuries that a trucking accident is likely to produce. Whether you were the victim, or are a grieving family member, the impact is sure to be life-altering. The Morales Law Firm is committed to assisting you in taking legal action to obtain the compensation you deserve. Contact our experienced, compassionate and committed truck accident lawyer that San Francisco, California area accident victims turn to today to schedule your complimentary consultation.
There are many reasons why truck accidents occur in California and across the country, including truck driver error, truck driver fatigue, defective truck parts, etc. One of the most dangerous – and avoidable – causes of truck accidents are oversized loads. As a San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer knows, overloaded trucks put everyone on the roads at significant risk of being injured in a crash, especially other commuters. According to national statistics, more than 70 percent of victims killed in large truck accidents are occupants in other vehicles.
Because of their massive size and weight, when a commercial truck is involved in a crash with a passenger vehicle, the results are often catastrophic ones. Many victims do not survive their injuries and those that do may be left with devasting and permanent injuries. A San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer can fight to get truck accident victims and their families damages for the physical and financial losses these crashes can cause.
Commercial trucks are difficult to maneuver but putting a truck that is overloaded on the road increases the risk significantly that the truck driver will have difficulty handling the vehicle. For example, if an overloaded truck has to take a sharp turn – such as coming off or on a highway or turning at an intersection, being overloaded can cause the truck to rollover. Any other vehicles near the truck when this happens can be crushed when the 80,000+ pound truck lands on top of it.
Each San Francisco, CA truck accident lawyer from The Morales Law Firm has successfully handed many truck accidents that involved oversized load trucks. The following are some of the most common scenarios of crashes:
- Weight Limit: As mentioned above, when the cargo a truck is transporting is over the legal weight limit set forth by federal regulations, the risk of that truck rolling over spikes, especially when merging into another lane or turning. Having too much weight on the truck can also causes a tire blowout since the recommended weight limit for the tires is also being exceeded. A tire blowout can cause the truck driver to lose control of the vehicle, resulting in the truck crashing into other vehicles around them.
- Distance to Stop: Large trucks need more distance to slow down or come to a complete stop than smaller vehicles do. For example, a truck that is traveling at a speed of 65 mph may need up to the length of two football fields in order to come to a complete stop. A loaded truck requires even more time.
- Jackknifing: Jackknifing is the term used when a truck comes to a sudden stop, but the trailer of the truck continues to move, causing the cab of the truck and the trailer to fold and form a sharp angle. In most cases, when a truck jackknifes, the truck driver loses control of the vehicle. An overloaded truck significantly increases the risk of jackknifing.
- Height Clearance: If an open-bed truck is piled too high with cargo, it can hit overpasses or bridges, causing cargo to fly off the truck and strike other vehicles. The cargo can totally dislodge or become stuck under the bridge, which can also result in serious accidents.
Call Our Office Today
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a trucking accident, contact The Morales Law Firm to schedule a free consultation with a seasoned truck accident lawyer San Francisco, CA clients recommend. We’ll fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve.