Drug Lawyer San Francisco CA
Options for Drug Possession Cases
The law takes drugs crimes very seriously, and when a police officer has accused you of some type of drug crime, you need a drug crime lawyer in San Francisco, California. There are many different laws on the possession of drugs, and drug crimes have been getting more attention in the news. Because there are so many laws regarding the manufacturing, possession, and sale of drugs, it can be difficult to know where the law draws that line. If an officer has charged you with illegally possessing or distributing drugs, one of your top concerns is likely a criminal record and what kind of punishments there are. The attorneys at the Morales Law Firm understand this fear and will work hard to help you devise a defense for your circumstances. If an officer charged you with a crime relating to drugs in California, do not hesitate to reach out to a drug lawyer in San Francisco CA from our office. The sooner we have information on the alleged crime, the sooner we can begin working on how best to represent you.
Determining the Legality of Drugs
We understand it is not always easy to know whether a drug is legal or illegal. This is a gray area because many times the legality of a drug will depend entirely on how you are using it. For example, marijuana is a controversial drug and it is not legal to use in every state. Some states have passed laws that allow patients with certain illnesses (like cancer) take prescribed doses of marijuana to help alleviate extreme nausea and promote weight gain. Thus, even if it is legal in some states, a person can still possess, use, or distribute marijuana illegally. If you are unsure of the legality of the drugs in question, you can speak with our drug crime attorney in San Francisco, CA today.
Are There Different Federal And State Regulations?
Yes. While there has long been a federal strategy to deter people from abusing controlled substances—like amphetamines—and each state also has their own specific laws regarding how they control drug use. It is important to note that there are two main differences between federal and state regulations:
- Typically, a federal drug charge (as opposed to a state) will carry significantly harsher punishments.
- It is more common to see federal drug convictions concerning drug trafficking, while state convictions are commonly associated with drug possession.
What To Do When You Are Caught Possessing Drugs
We at the Morales Law Firm know how scary it can be when a police officer catches you possessing drugs. But what does this mean? For a court to convict you, you must have:
- Knowingly possessed a controlled substance.
- Possessed this controlled substance without a legitimate prescription.
- Had enough for your own use or potentially to sell.
When you are looking for a drug crime lawyer in San Francisco, California, look no further than the Morales Law Firm. We will pore over the details of your case to devise a defense that works with your situation. Some examples of defenses we might use are:
- There Was a Lack of Possession. Here, we would attempt to prove that it would be impossible to determine who possessed the drugs.
- You Unwittingly Possessed Them. Here, we would attempt to show that you did possess them but had no way of knowing you did.
- The Police Abused Their Power. Finally, we would attempt to prove that in finding the drugs, the police actually abused their power during the discovery process.
If a police officer recently charged you with drug possession and you are seeking an an attorney who can help your case, get help from the Morales Law Firm. We will stand by your side and represent you in court. For more information on drug possession law and finding a drug crime lawyer in San Francisco, CA that you can count on, call our office today.
Legal Strategies for Drug Possession
Facing criminal charges for drug possession will surely require the assistance of a drug lawyer who is experienced in this area of practice. They will be able to put together the appropriate legal strategy based upon the details of the case. Ensuring that you have a drug lawyer in San Francisco CA who has experience in representing drug possession cases is important as it can have a direct impact on the outcome of your case. Why You Need An Experienced Drug Possession Lawyer.
Severity of the Charge Can Vary
When it comes to drug possession charges, the severity can range depending on the type of drug you are in possession of and the amount that you are holding. When facing charges there will be a number of factors to consider:
- The type of drug that you were in possession of can make a significant difference because they are all classified differently.
- Whether or not there is a previous criminal background.
- If you intended to distribute the drugs you were in possession of
Other important variables can come into play as well. For example, if the investigator on your case believes that you intended to sell the drugs you were in possession of, you could be facing distribution charges. They may look to see if you are also in possession of the following items when determining whether this type of charge could be obtained:
- Large amounts of money
- Drug paraphernalia
Drug possession with the intent to sell or distribute can lead you to face a much harsher penalty in court.
Types of Defense Strategies
A San Francisco CA drug lawyer is vital in cases involving drug possession. They have a vast knowledge base of the court system and the appropriate ways to strategize depending on the climate of the courtroom, the judge presiding over your case, and the prosecutor bringing forth the charges. Having a drug lawyer with familiarity of the local court scene can work to your benefit. Some of the most common defense strategies for drug possession include:
- Violation of the Fourth Amendment: This occurs when law enforcement search your home or vehicle without a warrant or probable cause. If evidence was obtained without a warrant, it may not be able to be used against you in a trial.
- There is not enough evidence: Sometimes, evidence can go missing which can have an impact on your case. Without the proper evidence, the prosecution’s case may be impacted.
- The drugs weren’t yours: Although this can be difficult to prove, depending on your specific situation, it can be a valid defense. Although in some states, you could still be held responsible.
There are a number of other defenses a lawyer in San Francisco CA may use. It will be important to obtain a drug lawyer so that they can take a closer look at your specific case. They will be able to develop an appropriate defense strategy for your particular situation.
Guidance from a Drug Lawyer
Having the help of a San Francisco CA lawyer with experience in this area of practice will be helpful when sorting out legal decisions that lie ahead. Understanding the strategy your attorney is planning to take for your case can help you have a clear idea of what to expect of the court process. Your attorney can give a person with drug possession charges peace of mind when faced with the drug court system and the variables to your specific case.
Depending on the circumstances regarding your specific case, outcomes can vary. By speaking with a drug lawyer San Francisco CA clients recommend from the Morales Law Firm regarding the details behind your arrest and subsequent charges, you can get a clearer picture of what to expect through the court process.
“Christopher Morales is a highly , expert criminal defense attorney. He treats us with dignity and respect, understand and make informed decisions about our son case. I am highly – recommend Christopher to people.”