DUI Checkpoints (Cinco de Mayo) – Bay Area
It’s time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and that also means it’s time for DUI checkpoints in the Bay Area. DUI checkpoints for the popular Mexican holiday will be set up throughout the Bay Area starting Friday night and running through Sunday morning.
Northern California DUI Checkpoints:
San Francisco – Areas of the City – 7pm to 3am, (May 3/4/5) *set up will be on Cesar Chavez St. and Van Ness Ave
San Rafael – Areas of the City – 6:00pm – 3:00am ((May 4/5)
Novato –Areas of the City – 6:00pm – 2:00am (May 4/5)
Lodi- Areas of the City – 6:30pm – 2:30am (May 4/5)
Modesto – Areas of the City – 6:30pm – 2:30am (May 4/5)
San Jose – – Areas of the City – 6:30pm – 2:30am (May 4/5)
Drivers caught driving impaired could face jail time, license suspension and insurance premium increases, in addition to fines, fees, DUI classes and other expenses that can exceed $10,000.
On average, a person is killed in a drunk-driving crash every 51 minutes in the United States. The majority of those crashes involve drivers who have a .15 percent BAC or higher, almost twice legal limit of .08 percent.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2011 — the latest year for which statistics were available — 35 percent of crash fatalities that occurred on May 5 were alcohol-related.
The following easy steps to have a safe and happy Cinco de Mayo:
– Plan a safe way home before the festives begin
– Before drinking, designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home
– If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to get home safely
– Use you community’s sober ride program
– Report Drunk Drivers (Call 911)
– If you know someone who is about to drive a car or ride a motorcycle while impaired, take the keys and help that person make other arrangement to get to where he or she is going safely
Be sure to check back for updates at http://www.mrcheckpoint.com/ or ps://www.facebook.com/California.DUI.Checkpoints