Most people do not think they will ever be involved in a car accident and do not know what to do. There are many things that you should do following an accident, some of which is for your own safety. Other things are precautions to protect you financially or legally. Learn everything you should do after an auto accident so you will be prepared in case you are ever in this situation.
What To Do
Some things are more important to do than others. You should do everything on this list, but do them in this order, taking care of the most important things first:
- Evaluate whether you are hurt. The adrenaline may mean you feel no pain, so visually inspect your body for cuts and broken bones. If you find any injuries, immediately call 911.
- If you are not hurt, evaluate whether everyone else who was involved in the accident is hurt. If anyone was injured, immediately call 911.
- If no one is hurt, check whether any vehicles are blocking traffic. If so, evaluate how safe it would be to move the vehicles to the side of the road. Do not attempt to move the vehicles if the accident was severe enough to cause visible damage to the vehicles. Likewise, you should not move the vehicles if you would have to cross multiple lanes of traffic to do so. If you cannot move the vehicles, get everyone off the road and call 911.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with everyone involved in the accident. Do not discuss who is at fault for the accident at this time.
- Try to identify anyone who may have witnessed the accident. If you find anyone, write down their contact information.
- Take extensive notes and pictures of the crash, including any damage to the vehicles, any minor injuries, the orientation of the vehicles, and the environment the accident happened in.
- Call the police non-emergency number. A police officer may come to the scene to create an accident report. If no officers can come, you can visit the police office later to have an accident report created.
- Call your auto insurance provider. Provide as much information as you can and answer all their questions. You will need to give your insurance provider with the contact information of everyone involved in the crash.
If you follow these steps carefully, you will be protected physically, financially, and legally. It is easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment, but stay calm and remember the proper things to do.
The Litigation Process
If you are looking for a car accident lawyer San Francisco provides many to choose from, but don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with our experienced and professional lawyers. Call (415) 552-1215 to contact us today. At The Morales Law Firm, we have helped thousands of accident victims and families attain compelling verdicts and settlements. We have fought for clients in the past let us fight for you!