Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer San Francisco CA
If you were charged with homicide, you may be feeling as if you have no chance of walking free or of getting a reduced charge. Though you have the legal right to work with a public defender if you cannot afford to hire an attorney, a seasoned federal criminal defense lawyer San Francisco CA trusts from The Morales Law Firm likely has more years of experience, an outstanding success record, and many satisfied clients. Call us to find out if we may be able to help you. A conviction on a homicide charge can put you behind bars for many years if not for the rest of your life. Give yourself the best possible chance for a positive outcome. We have helped many people accused of series crimes, including murder.
Defense Pleas in Response to a Charge of Homicide
After a San Francisco, CA federal criminal defense lawyer from The Morales Law Firm closely examines the circumstances of your case, he or she will determine how you should plea in response to a criminal charge of homicide. Every case is different because every defendant is different as are the many variables that are relevant to the criminal charge against them. Therefore, the following information is of a general nature and may not apply to the circumstances of your case. Dependent on what is the most appropriate defense strategy for your case, your criminal defense lawyer may choose any of the following:
- Self-defense. If you killed someone because they were trying to kill you and you acted to defend your life, it may qualify as justified self-defense. In this scenario, a federal criminal defense lawyer in San Francisco from our firm may work with a forensic crime scene private investigator to recreate the circumstances of the encounter. In this way, it can be demonstrated to the jury that you had no choice but to kill the other person in order to preserve your life.
- Insanity or incapacity. This refers to a mental health condition that may have caused you to be mentally or emotionally incapable of planning to kill someone. If, as a result of this you killed them because you did not understand what you were doing, this plea may be entered on your behalf by your criminal defense lawyer.
- Additional defense pleas. Your San Francisco, CA criminal defense lawyer can provide you with more information as it may pertain to your case if it falls outside the above two mentioned innocent pleas. However, some of the most common additional strategies include:
- Accidental homicide. (For instance, your intent was to beat the person, not to kill them. You may still be found guilty of other charges such as assault and battery.)
- Intoxication. (You may still be found guilty of second degree manslaughter.)
Protect Your Rights and Invest in Your Future
If you were charged with homicide, understand that a conviction can be catastrophic for your future. Even if you are completely innocent of the charge and did nothing wrong, you can still be convicted based on false evidence and faulty witness testimony. Call a federal criminal defense lawyer San Francisco CA relies on at The Morales Law Firm to find out how we may be able to help you.