Legal Strategies for Drug Possession
Facing criminal charges for drug possession will surely require the assistance of a drug lawyer who is experienced in this area of practice. They will be able to put together the appropriate legal strategy based upon the details of the case. Ensuring that you have a drug lawyer in San Francisco CA who has experience in representing drug possession cases is important as it can have a direct impact on the outcome of your case. Why You Need An Experienced Drug Possession Lawyer.
Severity of the Charge Can Vary
When it comes to drug possession charges, the severity can range depending on the type of drug you are in possession of and the amount that you are holding. When facing charges there will be a number of factors to consider:
- The type of drug that you were in possession of can make a significant difference because they are all classified differently.
- Whether or not there is a previous criminal background.
- If you intended to distribute the drugs you were in possession of
Other important variables can come into play as well. For example, if the investigator on your case believes that you intended to sell the drugs you were in possession of, you could be facing distribution charges. They may look to see if you are also in possession of the following items when determining whether this type of charge could be obtained:
- Large amounts of money
- Drug paraphernalia
Drug possession with the intent to sell or distribute can lead you to face a much harsher penalty in court.
Types of Defense Strategies
A San Francisco CA drug lawyer is vital in cases involving drug possession. They have a vast knowledge base of the court system and the appropriate ways to strategize depending on the climate of the courtroom, the judge presiding over your case, and the prosecutor bringing forth the charges. Having a drug lawyer with familiarity of the local court scene can work to your benefit. Some of the most common defense strategies for drug possession include:
- Violation of the Fourth Amendment: This occurs when law enforcement search your home or vehicle without a warrant or probable cause. If evidence was obtained without a warrant, it may not be able to be used against you in a trial.
- There is not enough evidence: Sometimes, evidence can go missing which can have an impact on your case. Without the proper evidence, the prosecution’s case may be impacted.
- The drugs weren’t yours: Although this can be difficult to prove, depending on your specific situation, it can be a valid defense. Although in some states, you could still be held responsible.
There are a number of other defenses a lawyer in San Francisco CA may use. It will be important to obtain a drug lawyer so that they can take a closer look at your specific case. They will be able to develop an appropriate defense strategy for your particular situation.
Guidance from a Drug Lawyer
Having the help of a San Francisco CA lawyer with experience in this area of practice will be helpful when sorting out legal decisions that lie ahead. Understanding the strategy your attorney is planning to take for your case can help you have a clear idea of what to expect of the court process. Your attorney can give a person with drug possession charges peace of mind when faced with the drug court system and the variables to your specific case.
Depending on the circumstances regarding your specific case, outcomes can vary. By speaking with a drug lawyer San Francisco CA clients recommend from the Morales Law Firm regarding the details behind your arrest and subsequent charges, you can get a clearer picture of what to expect through the court process.